Search This Blog

Oct 14, 2011

Halloween Candy (and extra candy for us)

I would love to make a living off blogging.  Here recently, it's become my brainstorming topic.  I think I have one of those every few months.  It's normally just that - a brainstorm about how I can make money by doing something I really, really enjoy.  But to make a living at blogging, that means that I have to DO it!  I've been a little absent from the blog world lately.

So, to get back on the right track, here's my latest shopping trip.

CVS and Walgreens

At CVS I bought: 
2 bags of Pretzel M&Ms
1 bag regular M&Ms
1 bag fun size Snickers
1 bag fun size Milky Way

I used 4.00 in man qs, a 4 ECB from a few weeks ago, and a 2 ECB quarterly bonus
Total before coupons and deals: 21.55 (before tax)
Total after coupons and deals: 2.50 (before tax)
Percent saved: 88%
ECBs remaining: 3 and 1 (from green bag tag)

At Walgreen's I bought:
1 small bottle of clorox
1 Carmex healing lotion
1 Nestle Nips candy 
1 small caramel (filler)

I used a 1.00 man q on the lotion, Walgreen's q for the Nips, and $3 Register Reward from last trip.
Total before coupons and deals: 14.46
Total after coupons and deals: 6.86
Percent saved: 53%
Register Rewards remaining: $4.00

Somehow I went to buy Halloween candy and ended up with much more candy for myself.  Can I hand out the Nips you think?  Maybe if we get desperate?  Or does that automatically scar our house forever as "the-house-where-they-hand-out-hard-candy?"  I'm very excited!  This is the first year I've ever lived in a subdivision for Halloween, and I think it will be so much fun to hand out candy!  It's a big deal - I have to build up a good candy reputation.  :)  No weird black/orange covered chewy-taffy-like things here!

Now, back to this making money by blogging thing...feel free to leave comments and suggestions on how it can be done.  I know there are people out there who do it, and it would be pretty cool to join their ranks.  I'm thinking something along the lines of a "I'm No Martha Stewart - My Journey through Reviving Home-making."  

5 comments:

  1. I think it would be helpful if you talked about what coupons you used to make your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expect TONS of people to come by Halloween. One of the first years we lived here, we had a big fall/Halloween display out front and we sat outside dressed up, handing out candy. People come from all over, even people who don't live here. We eventually ran out of candy and just went inside. We haven't done it but maybe one time since. We got tired of the older teenagers coming around wanting candy. And I'm not talking about the ones who were out with their younger siblings. They were just out in plain clothes walking around stuffing their pockets. Kind of ruined it for us. Now we're the old fuddies who turn their lights out that night. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Allie might have a different mindset. If teens come up with no costume, I tell them to hit the bricks. I don't let them ruin my fun. The only problem up here is that all the church "trunk or treat" stuff and the general health movement has limited the traffic from days of yore. (YORE!) Anyway, I still have fun with it and being in a subdivision is awesome.

    My only comment on your candy purchases is personal. Pretzel M&M's are ass. They taste like the retarded cousin of malted milk balls. I think Rebecca is a fan, but if I want an M&M filled with pretzel flavored saw dust, I'll take a chocolate fountain to a mill and dip it in leachate. When I bite into one, millions of tastebuds suddenly cry out in terror and are suddenly silenced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - I will do my best to track my coupons better so that I can say what I used and where I got them from!

    Allison - Thanks for the heads up about the candy. I will definitely have to build up my stash before Halloween. Hopefully Josh will have some interesting ways of turning away those teenagers who aren't dressed up. :)

    Chris - I'm definitely excited about Halloween in a subdivision (as if that wasn't already apparent). But I'm in Rebecca's camp on the pretzel M&Ms. I LOVE them! I even had them for lunch yesterday. But I pretty much love anything that's pretzel and covered in chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teens didn't really ruin our fun. We just got tired of chasing them off and we're not really kid people anyways, so I guess the whole thing just got old.

    ReplyDelete