Search This Blog

Jul 21, 2011

4th of July Review and baking

This year for the weekend of the 4th of July we went up to Memphis.  We had a wonderful time with our gracious hosts, John and Kathy Tucker, and spent some time over at Mrs. Nancy Walker's house too.  The guys had far too much fun with the paddle boat.  :)  And the catfish fry...amazing!

For Mrs. Walker's get-together, I tried my hand at making some cupcakes.  And let me give credit here...I found this idea on a blog I follow - Inside BruCrew Life.  This woman has truly mastered the art of baking...and if you want some unique dessert ideas, definitely check out her site.  But be prepared because her ideas are so scrumptious and wonderful, you'll want to try all of them (but your waistline might not be ready for it).  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Here's her original post for Firecracker Cupcakes: http://insidebrucrewlife.blogspot.com/2011/06/firecracker-cupcakes.html

Isn't her blog so cute?  Her pictures are about 1,000 times better than mine, but here's my attempt at the cupcakes. 

I just used some red sprinkles to go on top of the icing.  I attempted to make stars and stripes but...well, nobody's perfect.

And the inside of one.  Again, check out the original blog for more appealing pictures.  I joked that instead of patriotic cupcakes, mine became a tribute to Bubblicious Cotton Candy bubble gum.  But they were definitely yummy!  Just make sure you use a true blue and red food coloring for the batters.  :)

Let me back-track a little too.  On Friday that weekend, we got to hang out with some of our neighbors.  They are wonderful people, and they got to have the first batch of my Firecracker/Cotton Candy cupcakes.  Saturday we traveled up to Memphis for the Catfish fry.  Sunday and Monday we stayed with the Tuckers - went to their church and enjoyed lots and lots of amazing food.  Central BBQ is a great Memphis restaurant.  (i'm drooling a little just thinking about it.)

On the way back home, we stopped into Starkville, MS, to visit some of old stomping grounds and see a friend for a cookout.  On the drive from Starkville to Montgomery we got to fireworks here and there, which was pretty cool.  It was really a great extended weekend (I vote for lots and lots more of those!), and I learned a great new idea for baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment