Search This Blog

Jan 22, 2011

Going crazy at Publix

Remember the book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?  Well, this little story should be called, If You Give A Couponer a Q for Free Milk...

Yup, I had a coupon for milk, absolutely free!  All I had to do?  Spend 100 buckaroos.  AND, I had a dollar off of chocolate milk when you buy a gallon of white milk.  So I had to get both things of milk.  Plus, I had two man Qs and a store Q for Yoplait yogurt cups, which were on sale 20 for 10 bucks...along with man Qs for Yoplait Yo Plus, which basically made those items free.  And then there was the store Q plus the man Q for Johnson and Johnson first aid kits.  I mean, come on, I had to get those.  Gotta support the family.  And, well, you get my point.  I'm the mouse...with the cookie. 

Publix
The meats:
Ground sirloin
Top Round Roast
Whole Chicken
Boston Butt
Total (before tax): 35.48
Publix savings: 2.18

New system:
* means on sale
^ means man q
' means store q
+ means competitor's q
The other stuff I got: 
4 Campbell's Cooking soups (cream of mushroom and cream of chicken)^
1 French's regular mustard^
1 Beekist honey bear
1 Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ
12 Yoplait cups*^+
2 4-packs of Yoplait Yo Plus*^
1 package Kraft Shredded Cheddar Cheese^
1 package Publix mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Johnson and Johnson Travel size First-Aid Kits^'
1 Clean It Oven Cleaner^
1 Peter Pan Peanut Butter^
1 Halls cough drops^
1 Barber's Buttermilk
1 gallon Barber's white milk^
1 Half gallon Barber's chocolate milk^
1 Sara Lee Honey Wheat Bread
4 Jell-O Instant Puddings^+
1 24-count Advil^
Grapes*'
1 Kraft American Singles^
2 boxes Special-K cereals*^+

Total for all before sales, coupons, and tax: 126.26
Total after sales and coupons (before tax): 79.97
Total savings: 46.29 or 37%

This percentage isn't as high as some I've had in the past, but 37% is still great!  Humor me on this next little bit.

Excluding meats:
Total before all sales, coupons, and tax: 90.78
Total after sales and coupons (before tax): 44.49
Total savings: 46.29 or 51%
Tax: 10.12

I know I'm bragging a lot here, but 51% on groceries!  This makes me so excited!  Especially since only a few of the items were actually on sale.  I got a big hunk of that 51% just from finding all kinds of coupons.  And hopefully, I won't have to buy too much more between now and the time that we buy a house, because I feel like that might be coming soon.  All we'll really need will be meat, bread, and milk.  

Looking forward to tomorrow.  Hubby is bringing out the smoker to cook all that meat that I got today.  Yummy!  And this mouse might even make some cookies, too.  :)

1 comment:

  1. i am TOTALLY with you on the "if you give a mouse a cookie syndrome". i do it all the time with cleaning, crafting and shopping.
    but bravo! once again i am jealous and oh so proud!

    ReplyDelete